The Russell Chest Seal® is a hydrogel-based dressing with an integral low-profile, four apertures, valve. The base material of the chest seal is a hydrogel matrix, which comprises a water-containing gel, mounted onto a non-woven fabric with silicon coated release liners.
The Russell Chest Seal® is used to cover penetrating chest wounds, and the valve mechanism allows air to escape from the pleural cavity without being drawn back in. This aims to minimise lunge collapse associated with this injury and to facilitate lung re-inflation. The device will remain adhered over many hours and is comfortable for the patient in prolonged use (up to 24 hours).
- Fast, easy and intuitive to apply
- Patented hydrogel base
- 4 large peripheral apertures allow drainage of air and blood
- Large central hole in base material allows quick accurate placement with reduced risk of obstructing the wound opening
- Low profile and highly flexible
- Compact: easy to pack into medical kit